Cleaning your clothes, protecting your machine and SAVING YOU MONEY
Soda Crystals have been around for generations and are often referred to as 'washing soda' for good reason. Before the invention of modern washing powder, they were one of the most popular laundry products and were renowned for their ability to cut through tough stains and dirt on grubby clothes. They are useful in a variety of laundry tasks and are simply a versatile, one-bag solution for all your laundry needs!
Here's a handy infographic, featuring the top 10 uses of Soda Crystals.
Soda Crystals in your wash
There are many benefits to using Soda Crystals in your washing machine, both in each wash and as a periodic clean.
- As an in-wash additive to shift organic stains. Simply add a tablespoon of Soda Crystals to your normal detergent.
- Remove tough stains from clothes by using it as a pre-soak. Make a strong solution of Soda Crystals and warm water and soak the garment for one hour before washing normally.
- Save money! Soda Crystals soften water in the washing machine so less detergent is needed.
- Ideal for tackling stubborn odours for items such as dog blankets, without simply masking the smell and leaving fragrances that can irritate your pet's skin.
- Prolong the life of your washing machine by preventing limescale build-up.
- Clean smelly bacteria from the machine. Run a maintenance cycle with 300 to 500g of Soda Crystals in an empty machine on the hottest setting. More info.
Soda Crystals can be used in every wash. Simply add the required amount to the detergent drawer, along with your usual washing powder, or directly into the drum. If you have particularly stubborn stains, dirty workwear or washable nappies to tackle, you may want to consider using Soda Crystals Laundry Boost which has added oxygen bleach.
Alternatively, you can use Liquid Soda Crystals on tricky areas, such as grubby collars, cuffs and underarms!
How much to use in the wash
Soda Crystals can save you money by allowing you to follow the soft water dosage for your usual detergent. Use the following amounts of Soda Crystals, depending on your water hardness:
- Medium - 50g
- Hard - 75g
- Very Hard - 100g
If you put the liquid straight into the drum, put Soda Crystals into the drawer and vice versa, so the liquid doesn't cause the Crystals to clump.
Remember that you can use white vinegar in place of fabric conditioner. It helps keep your machine limescale free and your towels fluffy. It doesn't leave an odour and you can even add some drops of essential oil if you like a fragrance.
Guide to strengths
Soda Crystals should be dissolved in warm water. The strength of the solution required depends on the application. As a guide, we recommend the following:
- Mild - One tablespoon (20g) to one pint (500ml) of water
- Regular - Half a cup (100g) to one pint (500ml) of water
- Strong - One cup (200g) to one pint (500ml) of water
Dri-Pak is the only manufacturer of Soda Crystals in the UK. Soda Crystals are Sodium Carbonate Decahydrate. They are packaged in plastic bags for easy pouring.
It has come to our attention that the brand 'Homecare' is selling a product in 1kg plastic bottles that they are calling 'Soda Crystals'. These are in fact simply 'soda ash' - one of the ingredients of Soda Crystals. They are less soluble in water for laundry purposes and don't have all the cleaning uses. We recommend that you buy soda crystals in bags, from supermarkets or from your local independent retailer/hardware store.
Original Soda Crystals are packed in bags because they can melt and re-solidify if left in the sun or exposed to heat. If that does happen, they can still be used.
Where to buy Soda Crystals
Soda Crystals are available from most major supermarkets, Savers, Home Bargains, Robert Dyas as well as many other independent retailers. Waitrose and Wilko also do 1.5kg bags so you need never run short. Wilko do most of our traditional cleaning products under their own Heritage range.
Free fortnightly tips & competition entry
Why not sign up to our fortnightly e-mail newsletter for handy tips on how to use traditional cleaning and laundry products? As an added bonus, you'll get free entry into our monthly prize draw to win the Clean & natural range. You'll be entered every month that you're subscribed, although you can unsubscribe at any time.