The old fashioned way to get your clothes clean and sparkling
Soda Crystals have been around for generations and are often referred to as ‘washing soda’ for good reason. Before the invention of modern washing powder, they were one of the most popular laundry products and were renowned for their ability to cut through tough stains and dirt on grubby clothes. They are useful in a variety of laundry tasks and are simply a versatile, one-bag solution for all your laundry needs!
Soda Crystals in your wash
Soda crystals can be used:
- As an in-wash additive to shift organic stains. Simply add a tablespoon of Soda Crystals to your normal detergent.
- Remove tough stains from clothes by using it as a pre-soak. Make a strong solution of Soda Crystals and warm water and soak the garment for one hour before washing normally.
- Save money! Soda Crystals soften water in the washing machine so less detergent is needed.
- Prolong the life of your washing machine by preventing limescale build-up.
- Clean smelly bacteria from the machine. Run a maintenance cycle with 300 to 500g of Soda Crystals.
Soda Crystals can be used in every wash. Simply add the required amount to the detergent drawer, along with your usual washing powder, or directly into the drum. Alternatively, you can use Liquid Soda Crystals on tricky areas, such as grubby collars, cuffs and underarms!
Here’s a handy infographic, featuring the top 10 uses of Soda Crystals.
Guide to strengths
Soda Crystals should be dissolved in warm water. The strength of the solution required depends on the application. As a guide, we recommend the following:
- Mild – One tablespoon (20g) to one pint (500ml) of water
- Regular – Half a cup (100g) to one pint (500ml) of water
- Strong – One cup (200g) to one pint (500ml) of water
Dri-Pak is the only manufacturer of Soda Crystals in the UK. Soda Crystals are Sodium Carbonate Decahydrate. They are packaged in plastic bags for easy pouring.
It has come to our attention that the brand ‘Homecare’ is selling a product in 1kg plastic bottles that they are calling ‘Soda Crystals’. These are in fact simply ‘soda ash’ – one of the ingredients of Soda Crystals. They are NOT AS EFFECTIVE for cleaning & laundry. We recommend that you buy soda crystals in bags, from supermarkets or from your local independent retailer/hardware store.
Original Soda Crystals are packed in bags because they can melt and re-solidify if left in the sun or exposed to heat. They are still as effective but will need to be broken up or dissolved in hot water. That’s why original soda crystals are not packaged in bottles.