Simply build the volcano structure, and it can be used to ‘explode’ as often as you like!
What you will need:
- A small plastic bottle
- wallpaper paste
- poster paints
- clear varnish
- White Vinegar
- Bicarbonate of Soda
- red food colouring
- To make the volcano structure, glue the plastic bottle upright onto the flat cardboard base.
- Make the volcano shape by covering the bottle with scrunched up newspaper.
- Cover the scrunched up paper with layers of papier-mâché, made by dipping strips of newspaper into the wallpaper paste.
- Once all the scrunched up newspaper is covered, leave it to dry overnight.
- Once it’s dry, paint the volcano the desired colour using poster paints.
- Once the paint has dried, seal it using a clear varnish.
- When the volcano is finished, half fill the plastic bottle with White Vinegar and add a few drops of red food colouring.
- Add a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda and stand back and watch the ‘explosion!’